Friday, May 29, 2009

A Letter from Uncle Abe

Still reflecting on my recent 30th anniversary of entering the medical profession, I came across a rare piece of memorabilia: a letter written to me in 1979 as I started my clinical studies at Maimonides Hospital from my Uncle Abe--the only other physician in our family, then age 80.

I'm presenting it to you to show the depth of dedication that he and so many of his colleagues demonstrated almost every hour of their lives. His philosophical ruminations haunt me after three decades of direct patient care; I am still humbled by the responsibility and the healing powers that a physician develops. Here is my Uncle Abe teaching me once again, his letter to me in its entirety:


July 21, 1979


Dear Stuart,

Congratulations on your start into the medical profession! Good luck, good health and happiness, and constant efforts on your part will make you successful in your choice of the Healing Art.

I’d like to quote Nietzsche (in spite of his anti-Semitic feelings). “A good physician must possess the persuasiveness that adjusts you to every individual you see as a patient; the suave negotiation and adroitness of an efficient detective in understanding the secrets of a soul without betraying it” (He must have said this about psychotherapists). It applies to all M.D.s.

The world is populated by people who are scared, anxiety propelled, and ill both physically and emotionally. Each person is human and imperfect. No one escapes the trials and tribulations of the human experience. Living is a continuous strife.

Remember in your dealings with mankind that humans are at best frail, phobic, ill, tired, and imperfect--regardless of their social status, their financial accomplishments, religious trends, color of skin, or ethnic origins. Try to be helpful, understanding and apply all you’ve acquired, and will acquire, of knowledge to accomplish some therapeutic gain. The Talmud says, “If one saves one human life, it is equal to having saved all the world.”

You will be rewarded with unusual feelings of expressed gratitude and deep personal satisfaction and happiness.

But never forget that you are a human being too and that no one escapes the frailty, uncertainty, and anxiety that confront all mankind. Be humble in your tasks but avoid self hurt, humiliation and “keep your chin up” while respectfully applying the art of our profession.

Good Luck!

Your Uncle Abe

No comments: